STAND NUMBER: 7231
National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS)
The National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS) was founded in 2012 to advance dance medicine and science in three areas; healthcare, education, and research. Through shared expertise and a network of multidisciplinary partners NIDMS works to provide the dance sector with access to high quality, affordable, dance specific healthcare and dance science support services in private practice and the NHS. These services are underpinned by dance medicine and science research, including that developed and implemented by NIDMS partners. Best practice, information and resources are disseminated to the wider dance and health community through educational workshops, conferences and publications. The NIDMS partners include Birmingham Royal Ballet, One Dance UK, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, The Royal Ballet, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, University of Birmingham and University of Wolverhampton.
The NIDMS partners collaborate to deliver our services in healthcare, education, and research. Some examples of our services include:
• NHS Dance Injury Clinics
• Private healthcare packages for dancers
• Dance-specialist Healthcare Practitioners Directory
• Clinical observerships
• Annual conferences on dancer`s health and wellbeing
• Talks and workshops for dance schools and companies on dancer`s health and wellbeing
• Postgraduate and doctoral study in Dance Science
• Information sheets
• Research internships
• High-quality dance medicine and science research, including 200+ medical/scientific conference presentations, 100+ peer-reviewed medical/scientific articles, 20+ professional articles, 4 dance medicine/science books and 5 book chapters.
• Large-scale epidemiological research studies